Some Thoughts About My First Week on Twitter

Creative Commons License photo credit: wonderferret

I resisted signing up to Twitter for a long time. After previously beating a pretty serious Facebook addiction I thought it would be a bad idea to get into another social media network. I thought I would waste hours of time just as I had on Facebook. But, I can happily report that after my first week on Twitter I think the service is going to be a useful addition to my online life. Here are some thoughts about my first week on Twitter.

By the way, you can follow me on Twitter here.

1. You can access some pretty cool people
The first thing I noticed about Twitter was that I was chatting to some pretty A-List bloggers within a matter of minutes. The level of informal access that you have to people on Twitter is quite amazing. As Twitter is made up of a lot of small comments the top internet celebs don’t seem to mind replying – Twitter saves them time.

2. You can get some good ideas
Having a Twitter window open during the day allowed me to throw around some different ideas for posts and articles. People on Twitter would tell me their thoughts and I could let the ideas marinate with them before going and writing the article. I got some good ideas after just seven days on the service.

3. It doesn’t waste much time
So far, I haven’t found any reason as to why Twitter would waste a lot of time. I hear about people who use the service way too much but, unlike Facebook, there are no pesky applications or games to distract you from the real purpose of being there.

4. Ah… I don’t really get it
I have to admit – I can’t help but think there is something I am not getting about Twitter. Is there something I am doing wrong? How can I get the most out of Twitter?

What do you think?
What are your thoughts about Twitter? Do you think it is a useful service that is going to be around for a long time or do you think it will fizzle out soon? Leave a comment and let me know.

Follow me on Twitter for more quotes, life-tips and conversations.

RSS feed | Trackback URI

9 Comments »

Comment by nandop
2009-01-12 11:20:11

Hey TDM,

Can I say something about your newsletter? It would be better if it came with the Title of the post on the subject line. The way it is now, all e-mails look the same.

As on Twitter, I believe the noise/signal ratio is about 5:1, much less than Facebook (which is about 600:1, agreeing with Doc Searls). Which is cool. Facebook is alright, with the Facebook Connect and everything, it looks like the new social network, but, in the end of the day, is just the old social network. Twitter has more punch and energy, I think. More alive.

Have a nice day.

Comment by The Daily Minder
2009-01-12 13:49:42

Hi Nandop.

Unfortunately I cannot put the title in the subject of the emails as the updates are sent via Feedburner and they do not offer this technology. Great suggestion though, I will look in to it.

Thanks.

TDM

Comment by Novelty Gifts
2009-01-12 13:00:58

Thanks havent been on twitter I just dont know if i want to sign up :/ Thanks for the review :)

Comment by The Daily Minder
2009-01-12 13:50:20

How did you go on Facebook? Did you get addicted?

Comment by Puerhan
2009-01-12 21:33:57

Dear TDM,

You might like to have a read of this Geeks Guide to Promoting Yourself With Twitter to see how you can make more use of twitter.

I’ve been on it about a week now also and I’m enjoying it. Good for quick catch-ups with family and friends, quick sharing links, checking out links others are sharing etc but not all the extra distraction that facebook has… Oh and for language learning: I’ve been brushing up on some Mandarin by following and interacting with @pinyin and @Chinesepod.

All the best.

Comment by The Daily Minder
2009-01-12 23:09:01

That’s a great idea – the language thing! Thanks Puerhan.

Comment by Elizabeth Scott
2009-01-15 10:06:51

I’m not a regular Tweet-er, though maybe I should try to change that. I have my blogs fed through my twitter feed, but I find I either tweet too much or not enough; as with everything, balance is key, and I’m sure I’ll get it eventually. I find that I’m more a fan of Facebook. Even though the noise ratio is higher, and I can get really sucked in by the games (oh, Scramble, why can’t I quit you?), I find it a more engaging format. We’ll see how things evolve, though. Interesting post, btw!

Comment by Carlos
2009-01-17 20:53:12

Scoble paraphrased someone else on Friendfeed like this:

Facebook is for people you know. Twitter is for people you want to know.

I think that sums it up pretty well for me.

Thanks for the great site.

Comment by AJ Kumar
2009-01-19 08:40:15

Twitter is a great tool!
I just started blogging a few weeks ago and it does give me decent traffic …so i can only imagine you’d be quite successful with it:)

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
URI
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)

Trackback responses to this post