Floods Worse than Haiti and the Boxing Day Tsunami Combined

Pakistan floods

image:allvoices.com

The floods that are happening right now in Pakistan are devastating. The Secretary General of the UN said that they are a worse disaster than the Haiti earthquake and the Boxing Day Tsunami put together. And the sad thing? No one is donating.

Why is no one donating?

Government’s often only donate when they hear about massive loss of life. The death toll in the floods has not been as high as the Haiti earthquake but there are now 20 million people left homeless and without work or food. In the coming weeks and months this is going to become a very serious problem as disease spread and they plunge into winter.

One political commentator remarked that Americans don’t want to donate to Pakistanis because they think they are terrorists. I deeply hope this is not true as we are talking about regular citizens here. In fact, the horrible people involved with extremist terror groups have told the Government not to accept foreign aid – they would rather see citizens of their own country die.

Literally save a life today

I am asking all of my friends here at The Daily Mind to donate to the Red Cross Pakistan Appeal today. Something that I would like you to very carefully think about is the fact that a donation of as little as a $20 bill can save a life in this situation. The Red Cross work directly in the country during these times and your donation will go towards food, medicine and helping families find shelter.

They literally have nothing left. Please donate something right now, even if it means we don’t get to go out on Friday night this week. It is too important.

Follow me on Twitter for more quotes, life-tips and conversations.

RSS feed | Trackback URI

13 Comments »

Comment by kidnotkidding
2010-08-21 05:22:45

Will do.

Comment by Adam
2010-08-21 08:16:20

No one is donating? The UN has raised half of its intended £295 million & the British public have donated £12 million.

Comment by Maja
2010-08-21 11:15:46

Already have. If in Croatia, please call the Red Cross hotline 060 9011!

Comment by Adam
2010-08-23 01:21:56

If you have the spare money, fine but with the little old UK for example being seriously in debt then they should be grateful with what we can give. I hate the thought of suffering and I know DM you love India, and I would love to go, but when you consider our planets human population is spiraling out of control, doubling in the last 40 years, especially Asia with India accounting for over 17% of us now, the odd human disaster may not be such a bad thing when you look at it from a factual rather than an emotional point if view.

Comment by The Daily Minder
2010-08-23 07:17:40

Adam Pakistan is not in India.

I find your logic kind of upsetting. There are a lot of people in the UK too.

Thanks for commenting. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

:-)

TDM

Comment by Adam
2010-08-23 10:27:18

Hey m8,

It was late last night and I just realised my mistake confusing the 2 countries.

Sorry I didn’t mean to upset you, I have nothing against any particular country or race of people at all. My point was that us humans are overpopulating this planet as a whole and with the more densely populated areas larger losses of life are going to be an unfortunate but expected occurrence.

Have been enjoying your blog for some time BTW!

Comment by The Daily Minder
2010-08-23 23:55:21

You’re right – I think the incidences of these mass disasters are going to continue to rise – global warming, over population, over farming, etc. Its a bad mix.

Comment by Sasi
2010-08-23 21:38:25

Adam,
LoL…and u talking about factual logic for donation.

Comment by Belinda
2010-08-24 03:54:43

Thanks for the reminder DM – I just made a donation. It’s a sad realisation that globally, we are not doing enough to help the flood victims. A few dollars to help a fellow human being? That’s money well spent…even just $20 could mean the difference between life and death. And time is so crucial – I’m ashamed that I waited so long to donate…

Comment by Sony
2010-10-05 14:15:46

Hey DM, I miss you! You haven’t posted in months. Please continue to write.

Comment by Priscilla Gallagher
2010-12-23 20:21:23

Comment by Eight
2011-01-17 00:25:33

I could car less about the countries of Pakistan, China and Iran. Well, at least the people of Iran want to overthrow their government.

The Pakistanis are indeed part of the problem that exists in neighboring Afghanistan. America should not have allied itself with Pakistan, but rather attacked them along the way to the north.

The disaster in Pakistan is sad, but the Pakistanis shouldn’t expect help from America after attacking American interests in their country.

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
URI
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)

Trackback responses to this post