What Does the New Year Mean to You?

había lluvia
Creative Commons License photo credit: lanuiop

Every year before the New Year ticks over I get a little bit anxious. I start thinking about how I should use this as an opportunity to change a habit or an aspect of my life that I am unhappy with. Perhaps with the promise and strength of a New Year’s Resolution I might finally be able to make a difference in my personality.

What I realized is that I am terrible at this. I never stick to my New Year’s resolutions. In fact, I can’t even remember what I tried to do for 2010.

I’d like to open up the comments to all the wonderful readers of The Daily Mind and ask what the New Year means to you. Do you make a resolution? Do you stick to it? If so, do you have any strategies or techniques to make sure you don’t slip up?

Finally, thank you all for your wonderful love and support this year. I have been sick, absent and a little bit lazy. 2011 will be a lot better so please stick around.

Follow me on Twitter for more quotes, life-tips and conversations.

RSS feed | Trackback URI

9 Comments »

Comment by Mick
2010-12-29 07:53:30

The reality is 100% of new years resolutions fail… and I’m happy to share with you the formula to make sure that you can fail in ANY new years resolution….(and if you really pay attention.. obviously the formula for guaranteeing you can succeed) see

Comment by Rudy
2010-12-29 21:38:45

While not exactly a New Years Resolution … I am glad that I stumbled upon thedailymind.com today and have now subscribed via RSS. I’ve already read a few articles that have me excited about making some changes in my life for the New Year. I truly hope that when you say 2011 will be a better year – that you mean it, because I am looking forward to some more good reads! :)

Comment by Mary
2010-12-30 01:25:04

Great to see you back. Please don’t consider yourself lazy for being sick or absent (and please banish “slip up” from your lexicon immediately – lapses ARE allowed!). Why can’t the Internet be a “drop in when you can” place? Motivation wanes sometimes and this 21st century online world seems to ignore that with its 24-hour watchful eye. I for one still have the lower expectations of the lower-tech world (oh, for a time machine – 1973, please!). Maybe thinking kindly about yourself would be a useful resolution for 2011? :)If you don’t think kindly about you, I will!

To your question: I never kept resolutions until this last year – and boy, it worked! I didn’t get specific, as in, “quit smoking” or “exercise three times a week” (I do neither as it is), but simply chose one word to be the “theme” for 2010: STRATEGIC. I applied that to every decision this year and it helped me declutter, plan a move, look for a job and start that damn novel I’ve been blathering on about to patient pals for years. I evaluated every possession in my home and decided if it was earning its space. Lots got chucked, and now I can think, plan and write more clearly. I’ve cooked out of dozens of long-ignored cookbooks. I planted a garden – rock on, as they say.

Maybe a broad term for 2011 might assuage your anxiety? As the Internet should be a “drop in” place (no pressure for “perfect” attendance), a broad term (theme) could offer much flexibility in seeing 2011 with new eyes. I wish you a year of delight in your discoveries! Mary

Comment by Kathryn
2010-12-30 01:57:47

The “New Year” is celebrated, for me , at the wrong time of year. I like September.
I try to sleep my way through most of the 31st and 1st.

Comment by Trish
2010-12-30 09:33:21

Happy New Year :)

Thank you for your blog.

New Year’s resolutions dont have to work out i think. The most important part of it is getting up and out and giving life one more try. That is the part i like most, it is a clean slate, a new chance and a new year. The more chances we get, the more attempts we have to do things right, and it is the continual attempt to do things right that makes us good people and helps us turn our lives around. So it doesnt matter if you fail, it is the trying that counts and what can keep people going when they need to.

Comment by Mim
2010-12-30 10:45:30

I have written or unwritten resolutions every year. What I have found helps me is if I have meditated with them and/or gone inside to see if they are actually a desire. If the desire is there I will move forward with some changes. They may not be as grand as I would like but if the desire is inside me the move forward is too. I will use a common one, loosing weight as an example. If I really do desire to do this and give up my habits that created the weight gain I will. If the desire is not their I will not. It will be a game I play with myself that is not satisfying at all. In fact it could be self abusive.

Instead of New Years Resolutions to force us into change, how about the desires of our hearts? That is where the true forward movement comes from; from within me. It has to be something I really want and then I do have to remind my self why and keep the flame of desire burning within me.

If I did not see the change meditation has made in my life I would not be able to flame the fire of desire to continue. It would just be another thing I had to do instead of a gift I give myself.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your writing and will check to see if this is still a desire from your heart. There was one time I was really hurting where your response helped so much! I hope the desire is still in you.

Comment by Mim
2010-12-30 23:18:02

What I do is prior to meditation I ask what the desires of my heart are. It is sort of an internal quest and see what comes from it. Then I set goals for the new year based on my desires. They always come to me, some are very superficial and some are really meaningful.

Let’s use weight loss as an example. If it is not an internal desire I cannot pull it forward to make the changes I need to make. Many years ago I quit smoking I would try and fail. The people I worked with at the time gave up on me because of my failures. I knew I would eventually quit. It was one of the hardest thing I think I ever did. The desire was in me.

At one point in my life I struggled with a daily meditation. I must have wanted it enough because I am fairly consistent.

Again, for me it is the desire of my heart brought forward. If it is a small flame that needs tending I can tend that fame and increase the desire as well.

At one point when I was really hurting your response to me was so kind and helpful. I hope you continue to spark the desires of us who want to continue on the Buddhist path.

Thanks,

Comment by Ari
2011-01-08 04:20:40

Hi daily mind,how can I contact you on a different topic?

Comment by Ari
2011-01-08 04:21:56

Hi daily mind-how can I contact you on a different topic?

Name (required)
E-mail (required - never shown publicly)
URI
Your Comment (smaller size | larger size)

Trackback responses to this post