Being in a relationship is a wonderful thing, as we were made to be social. Even the most introverted person yearns for a connection, only the intensity and frequency varies. As Margaret Mead said, “Having someone wonder where you are when you don’t come home at night is a very old human need.”
There is, however, the universally known fact that relationships can be a strain at times. Even the best matched couples in the world can go through rough patches.
Perhaps one of the trickiest things to decide on is whether a couple is going through a rough patch or it really is the end of the road for them.
This post is not about telling you what to do. It’s about giving you that much needed encouragement while you’re going through what may very well feel like the worst time in your life.
Here are 10 quotes that can do just that. And remember, countless others have gone through the very same road you are going at the moment. Guess what? They came out of it just fine, one way or another. You will, too!
- We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us. ~ Joseph Campbell
- I do not understand the mystery of grace — only that it meets us where we are and does not leave us where it found us. ~ Anne Lamott
- Shared joy is a double joy; shared sorrow is half a sorrow. ~Swedish Proverb
- Don’t smother each other. No one can grow in the shade. ~Leo Buscaglia
- Sometimes it is the person closest to us who must travel the furthest distance to be our friend. ~Robert Brault
- Assumptions are the termites of relationships. ~Henry Winkler
- There are times when two people need to step apart from one another, but there is no rule that says they have to turn and fire. ~Robert Brault
- Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky. ~Rainer Maria Rilke
- You don’t develop courage by being happy in your relationships everyday. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ~Epicurus
- People are not perfect… very often the relationships that are strongest are those where people have worked through big crises, but they’ve had to work through them. So the challenge to us is to work through that. ~Patricia Hewitt
- Relationships are mysterious. We doubt the positive qualities in others, seldom the negative. You will say to your partner: do you really love me? Are you sure you love me? You will ask this a dozen times and drive the person nuts. But you never ask: are you really mad at me? Are you sure you’re angry? When someone is angry, you don’t doubt it for a moment. Yet the reverse should be true. We should doubt the negative in life, and have faith in the positive. ~ Christopher Pike