We all want to get as much as R&R as possible, but unfortunately, life doesn’t always give us what we want. Worse, stressors are everywhere – at home, on the way to work, and at the office. While that’s normal, stress that’s not released will accumulate, leading to all sorts of health, emotional, and mental issues.
That’s why it’s important that we diffuse stress as often as we can, and engage in activities we find relaxing all throughout the week.
But how is this possible when you already don’t have enough time and money for your regular responsibilities? How can you afford to indulge yourself?
One thing to remember: relaxation != expensive.
There are a lot of ways to relax without having to spend a lot. Some are even free.
The key is to find what works for you and to allow yourself to let go of stress. Here are some ideas to relax on a budget.
30 cheap ways to relax
- Drink green tea.
- Eat some honey.
- Munch on dark chocolate.
- Chinese takeaway! Or whatever your comfort food is.
- Enjoy a glass of wine.
- Prepare your favorite meal.
- Eat ice cream out of the tub.
- Breathe in through your nose, exhale through your mouth. Repeat as many times as necessary.
- Work that stress ball.
- Roll your feet over golf balls.
- Count backward.
- Do yoga.
- Go to the park, find a quiet corner, and enjoy some quiet time.
- Go for a drive. Choose a scenic route.
- Sit still and do nothing.
- Lie on a hammock.
- Think about happy memories.
- Play with your pet.
- Cuddle with your partner.
- Gaze at the stars.
- Listen to music that soothes you.
- Read your favorite poems. If you don’t have any, discover poetry. Poetry Foundation is a good place to start.
- Use adult coloring books.
- Write – a letter, a journal entry, or whatever makes you feel better.
- Work on a jigsaw puzzle.
- Buy some flowers and arrange them in your favorite room.
- Light up some scented candles.
- Soak in the tub as long as you want.
What other things can you think of?