Relationships can be hard. While some couples seem to be perfect for each other and never have any differences, we don’t really know what goes on behind their doors.
What’s a perfect relationship anyway? Perhaps it doesn’t really exist. Perhaps it’s made of blood, sweat, tears, and the determination to keep loving another person. Perhaps an ideal relationship is more realistic than a perfect one. This reminds me of the movie “As Good As It Gets“, where the relationship between the protagonists was certainly imperfect. Okay, that may not be the healthiest relationship, but the partners certainly hung on, leading to an almost “they lived happily ever after ending”.
Not to be jaded, but that kind of ending rarely happens in real life – if it does – but we can do a lot to get as close to one. To make our relationships as good as it gets.
Here are some quotes which give insights, tips, and encouragement to couples – whether they are going through rough times or they are having the best time of their lives.
Quotes for a healthy relationship
1. To know when to go away and when to come closer is the key to any lasting relationship. – Doménico Cieri Estrada
2. What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? – George Eliot
3. Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. – Leo Buscaglia
4. The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them. – Thomas Merton
5. Some think love can be measured by the amount of butterflies in their tummy. Others think love can be measured in bunches of flowers, or by using the words ‘for ever.’ But love can only truly be measured by actions. It can be a small thing, such as peeling an orange for a person you love because you know they don’t like doing it. – Marian Keyes
6. A healthy relationship is built on unwavering trust. – Beau Mirchoff
Also read: 11 Quotes to Help You With Trust Issues
7. In a relationship you have to open yourself up. – Neil LaBute
8. You can measure the happiness of a marriage by the number of scars that each partner carries on their tongues, earned from years of biting back angry words. – Elizabeth Gilbert
9. An intimate relationship does not banish loneliness. Only when we are comfortable with who we are can we truly function independently in a healthy way, can we truly function within a relationship. Two halves do not make a whole when it comes to a healthy relationship: it takes two wholes. – Patricia Fry
10. Every good relationship, especially marriage, is based on respect. If it’s not based on respect, nothing that appears to be good will last very long. – Amy Grant
Some questions to ask yourself
1. Do you open up to your partner?
2. Do you and your partner respect each other and express it?
3. What do you do to show your partner you love him/her?
4. Do you think before you speak even if you’re angry?
5. Are you subconsciously trying to change your partner?
With Valentine’s Day coming up, perhaps it is a good time to analyze the state of your relationship and see how you can make it healthier. In any case, whether it’s Valentine’s season or not, it is always a good time to take a step back and see how you can improve your relationship.
Back to you
What quotes have helped you see your relationship in a better light? What tips do you have to share with other couples?