People are not born being judgemental. This way of thinking is learned, taken in as we grow up. If we see our parents, aunts, uncles, and other adults around us judging other people, then isn’t it understandable that when we grow up, we might have the tendency to be judgemental? We might not even realize that we tend to judge other people!
But then, when we are at the receiving end, things suddenly become unfair, doesn’t it? We think that being judged (unfairly, most of the time) is “just not right”, and we react negatively to it.
There are always two sides to a coin, and if you are going through a situation where judging or being judged is an issue, here are some quotes that may help you gain a better perspective.
Quotes on Judging and Being Judged
1. “By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
2. “When you judge other people without wanting to know the true story behind their actions, is usually when there is something inside of you that is so broken that if you found out what you believed about them was a lie, you wouldn’t want to accept it or make amends.” – Shannon L. Alder
3. “Judge tenderly, if you must. There is usually a side you have not heard, a story you know nothing about, and a battle waged that you are not having to fight.” – Traci Lea LaRussa
4. “Judging is acting on a limited knowledge. Learn the art of observing without evaluating.” – Pushpa Rana
5. “It is the property of fools to be always judging.” – Thomas Fuller
6. “When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.” – Earl Nightingale
7. “I’m simply saying that there is a way to be sane. I’m saying that you can get rid of all this insanity created by the past in you. Just by being a simple witness of your thought processes. It is simply sitting silently, witnessing the thoughts, passing before you. Just witnessing, not interfering not even judging, because the moment you judge you have lost the pure witness.” – Osho
8. “If someone isn’t what others want them to be, the others become angry. Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.” ? Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
9. “As long as we continue to live as if we are what we do, what we have, and what other people think about us, we will remain filled with judgments, opinions, evaluations, and condemnations. We will remain addicted to putting people and things in their “right” place.” ? Henri J.M. Nouwen
10. “No one has it all figured out, especially not the people who are acting like they do and judging you because of it. Pretending to be something you aren’t because you’re trying to please a bunch of judgmental hypocrites and shitheads is not the way to be happy. Living the life you want to live is. It really is that simple.” – Tucker Max
11. “Don’t judge too harshly, for if your weaknesses were to be placed under your footsteps, most likely you would stumble and fall as well.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
12. “Perhaps, if you weren’t so busy regarding my shortcomings, you’d find that I do possess redeeming qualities, discreet as they may be. I notice when the sky is blue. I smile down at children. I laugh at any innocent attempt at humor. I quietly carry the burdens of others as though they were my own. And I say ‘I’m sorry’ when you don’t. I am not without fault, but I am not without goodness either.” – Richelle E. Goodrich, Smile Anyway: Quotes, Verse, & Grumblings for Every Day of the Year
13. “All the whispering, glaring, pointing and judging makes them no better than whoever or whatever it is they’re gossiping about.” ? Tiffany King
14. “Judge me if you want, but at the end of my life I choose to have memories not regrets.” – Steve Maraboli